I decorated for fall, so of course, I couldn't wait to decorate for the winter holidays! You can see in my fall decor post that it was all just teasers for the holidays like pine cones + cinnamon sticks. Our first full day back from Thanksgiving weekend, I made a date with S to decorate for the holidays. We opened a bottle of wine, played a Christmas record, and went through our few boxes of decor.
- My ceramic ballerina that I've had since I lived in New York and did ballet. It was always my favorite ornament to put on the tree, one of my parents would lift me up to put it on a high spot so that it wouldn't accidentally be bumped + fall.
- A select few collected from Anthropologie like a hot air balloon + a pom pom sphere.
- My old wooden ornaments like my horse puzzle + a partridge in a pear tree.
- A sparkly Eiffel Tower because, let's face it, dreams are made in France.
- And our tree topper, it's so whimsical it always reminds me of Who-ville!
And of course, our old brass menorah! S is Jewish so we are lucky enough to celebrate both! This will be my 6th Hanukkah, and every year the potato latkes are different! That's one tradition that we've made our own: every year we experiment a bit with our latke recipe and change up the flavor. One year we made them from scratch with lovely textured + shredded potatoes, the other year we added curry to the mix + topped them with crumbled goat cheese! This year, I've been loving coriander, so we just might have to experiment with that flavor.
Finally, in our home, I just cannot get enough lights. We have lights inside, outside, and on our tiny Christmas tree.
Yesterday our events department was in charge of decorating the museum for the holidays! We put up different trees in a couple of exhibit halls, decorated them, and strung lights. It was quite a beautiful sight! I do hope our December events are as thrilled as we are at how lovely they came out. I worked on the tree in my favorite exhibit hall, the dinosaur exhibit.
We bought an assortment of gold and red ornaments, bows, and sparkly mesh fabric. The cascading mesh was my boss' idea! She went to NY over break and noted many of the beautiful trees, just in time to put up ours.
This week has been such a festive week for my holiday spirit! Have you decorated yet?